Operating System (OS) Migration
The Workforce Mobility Revolution is already upon us. For organizations that fail to act, it will simply pass them by. For the pioneers, however, it is a welcome opportunity to take advantage of a transformation in mobile enterprise technology. The next generation of workforce mobility solutions will help organizations get more done, more quickly, for less money.
The driving force behind the Workforce Mobility Revolution is the convergence of a number of key technology changes:
- Modern rugged handheld devices have become just as intuitive as consumer-grade devices.
- Incredibly advanced functionality within user-friendly hardware and software is removing inefficient workflows and boosting productivity.
- A broader choice of mobile operating systems (OS) is emerging, as consumer-focused industry giants such as Android mature into genuine enterprise-ready platforms.
- Perhaps the biggest change is the end of support for the existing Windows mobile OS—relied upon for some $5 billion of enterprise application investments worldwide. Organizations running Windows-based rugged devices today will need to find an alternative OS—and upgrade to new devices—before Microsoft support ends in 2020.
For those that embrace the Workforce Mobility Revolution as a way to succeed, the dividends will be high. Seismic changes will open up new markets and drive economic growth across operations in industries as diverse as manufacturing, retail, transport/logistics, and healthcare. Organizations that are agile and innovative will have the technological means to provide improved value across the board in speed, quality and pricing.
Gains from the Workforce Mobility Revolution include:
- Productivity – from the use of advanced operating systems, devices and purpose built software applications that speed up workflows
- Efficiency – via processes that eliminate waste or complexity
- Accuracy – with advanced data collection capabilities that reduce soft and hard costs associated with errors